About us

Daizies is set in the scenic countryside of West Gippsland, only 5 minutes from Warragul’s CBD. Located on Korumburra – Warragul Rd, the land was originally titled in 1884, just 6 years after railway lines passed this area and the town of Warragul was established.
Butter factory
Butter Factory Rear
butter factory
Butter Factory Front

Bull Swamp Butter Factory

The first butter factory in the district, if not in the entire state, was built in 1888, at Bull Swamp, located in the front paddock of the current property of “Daizies”. Just 3 ½ miles south of Warragul, the Bull Swamp Butter Factory was the outcome of enthusiasm on the part of several landowners then living in the vicinity, who talked the matter over until it was decided to enlist the co-operation of the dairy-farmers to establish a factory.

There seems to be no doubt that the farmers wanted a butter factory, but there was a great deal of argument over where to build it. Some were in favour of the Bull Swamp site, south of Warragul and others wanted a factory north of the town. After a number of inconclusive meetings, the Bull Swamp group went ahead regardless and a company with shareholders was incorporated 5 October 1888.

It has been told that the first beginnings of the butter factory led to yet another squabble over the site, as a dozen of the milk suppliers wanted the site fixed to the top of the hill south of the site ultimately settled on, on account of haulage, and the rest wanted it near the creek, on account of the water supply. It was agreed to construct a tramway to the top of the hill, but, on investigation, that was found too costly and eventually after a few failed attempts at taking and using the cream separator up the hill, the milk was to be delivery and processed at the factory.

After the first few successful years, despite the farmers backings and government bonuses, the factory did not do very well. Perhaps to understand this entirely we would have to look at the dairy industry as a whole, but transporting issues, unreliable equipment and exporting incomes outweighed by the producing fees and costs of agents did not do anything to help.

Farmers on the north side of Warragul petitioned and promised to support it, to have the factory in a more central location, and in 1895-96 the factory was moved to a site at the western entry of Warragul. It operated at what is now the corner of Princes Way and Toorak Avenue, near to the Edenborough Hotel, for several years until it was destroyed by fire in 1905.

The original building in Bull Swamp, at Daizies, was sold for £230 to PJ Nestor and become the Nestor Bros. Creamery, producing cheddar cheese that was sold at fivepence per pound. Unfortunately, the combination of a low level of suppliers and the drought in 1895 meant that the revenue was too low to make repayments on equipment and the creamery could not continue operating.

Read more

Kenny Flower Farm

Shortly after the commencement of the Bull Swamp Butter Factory in 1888, on the southern side, half way up the hill, the first house in the area, a period style home was built (over 100 years old today) and proudly stands today with the original sash windows and twin, double brick chimneys. The interior boasts high ceilings and polished floorboards, original light fittings, bakelite switches, ornate vents and florentine front glass windows.

When Ray Kenney, purchased the property in 1954, he renovated parts of the house, by replacing the hessian hung walls with a more up to date panelling, and found the walls had been lined with newspapers from 1892.

They used the land to farm flowers and built the shed (now known as Daizies Function Venue) and used this for the storage and processing of the flowers. There was no sign of the butter factory building, although they did find and have to dig out the foundations of the original butter factory building to be able to used the paddock to grow their flowers.

They travelled to Melbourne 3 times a week to deliver and sell many types of flowers at Market and providedfresh produce to most of the florists in Melbourne.

They were responsible for the original layout of the gardens around the house including a variety of trees which arearound90 years old. The twin Norfolk Island pines and European cedar are very dominating as they loom above, creating shade all year round. The Australian sheoaks and cypress were planted a few decades later when the property was sold to Peter &Narina, who grew kiwi fruit and the lines of trees protected the fruit from the wind.

The garden has grown along the ways featuring a fountain, several hedges, stunning paulownia flowering trees, camellias, magnolia, wisteria, rhodedrendron, weeping cherry blossoms, birch, fir, spruce and a weeping elm centerpiece in the middle of the driveway. There is a 45 year old photinia hedge lining the entrance,a citrus orchard also the same age, and a variety of daisies scattered throughout.

Ray became a well-known name in the local community, after his time here, in 1980 he moved back to his family home in Drouin, to farm flowers there and develop the property, its gardens and restore a beautiful chapel, He also openedKenneys Florist in Warragul, which still remains today in Queen Street.

Read more

Butter factory
Butter Factory Rear
butter factory
Butter Factory Front
Butter factory
Butter Factory Rear
butter factory
Butter Factory Front

The Daisy Patch

The original land, close to 70 acres was sub-divided in 1999, by the Kiwi Fruit Farmers, separating off 6 acres around the original farm house and gardens, which was sold to the Smithhurst daughters, Helen & Robyn. This included the huge packing shed which was turned into a successful Café and Gift shop by the two sisters. They named the Property “The Daisy Patch” in fond memory of their Grandmother, who lived just around the corner on Hamiltons Road. Daisy Rogers was a delight, she was a well-known pianist in the Gippsland area and played at all the local dances and events, even a few at The Daisy Patch.

Not actually her piano, but we do have a Stuyvesant Piano in the venue dating back to her era.

Daizies and our future

The property changed ownership in 2005 and along the way Ray change to name to Daizies and when Phill& Michelle with their 4 children took over in 2018, they were so excited and proud to be a part of this beautiful slice of paradise.

The property has been a dream come true,a hidden gem near Michelle’s home town, in Neerim Junction. Phill, being a qualified chef in and around Melbourne was ready to work for himself and Michelle had worked in hospitality, front of house and management of hotels for over 20 years, this was the perfect opportunity to settle down,raise children in the country and embark on a huge adventure, to create an amazing, reputable venue and along the way a wonderful lifestyle for a growing family.

We see owning Daizies as an opportunity to look after what is already here, restore what we can and improve and expand the property in so many ways. We love the rustic, country atmosphere that has been started and we intend on enhancing that feel and giving it an elegant touch. We have the chance to give the venue a new a lease of life and we are excited to work with the people around us to bring more local produce and offer a personal touch when you visit us. 

Every day we pour our hearts and soul into Daizies to make it better for everyone to enjoy. We can’t wait to share it with you!  Thank you so much for supporting us!

Click here to read about the beginning of Gippsland. https://www.oddhistory.com.au/gippsland/

Click here for more history about Warragul. https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/warragul-vic

Read more

Butter factory
Butter Factory Rear
butter factory
Butter Factory Front

Daizies is set in the scenic countryside of West Gippsland, only 5 minutes from Warragul’s CBD. Located on Korumburra – Warragul Rd, the land was originally titled in 1884, just 6 years after railway lines passed this area and the town of Warragul was established.

The Kenneys, a well-known name in the local community purchased this land and used it to farm flowers. The family, residing in Drouin South, built the shed (now known as Daizies) EST 1886 and used this for the storage and processing of the flowers.

 

The period style home was built in 1926 (almost 100 years old today) and proudly stands with the original sash windows and twin brick chimneys. The interior boasts high ceilings and polished floorboards, original light fittings, bakelite switches, ornate vents and florentine front glass windows.
The Kenney family and their love of flowers carried on through generations and the grandson later went on to open Kenneys Florist in Warragul.

They were responsible for the original layout of the gardens around the house including a variety of trees which are around 90 years old. The twin Norfolk Island pines and European cedar are very dominating as they loom above, creating shade all year round. The Australian sheoaks and cypress were planted a few decades later when the property was sold to Peter & Narina and used for kiwi fruit farming and the lines of trees protected the fruit from the wind.

The garden has grown along the ways featuring a fountain, several hedges, stunning paulownia flowering trees, camellias, magnolia, wisteria, rhodedrendron, weeping cherry blossoms, birch, fir, spruce and a weeping elm centerpiece in the middle of the driveway. There is a citrus orchard, photinia hedge lining the entrance and a variety of daisies scattered throughout.

The original land, close to 70 acres was sub-divided in 1999, separating off 6 acres around the original farm house and gardens, which was sold to Helen & Robyn Savoury. This included the huge packing shed which was turned into a successful Café and Gift shop by the two sisters. They named the Property “The Daisy Patch” in fond memory of their Grandmother, who lived just around the corner on Hamiltons Road. Daisy Rogers was a delight, she was a well-known pianist in the Gippsland area and played at all the local dances and events, even a few at The Daisy Patch.

The property changed ownership in 2005 and along the way Ray changed the name to Daizies and when Phill & Michelle with their 4 children took over in 2018, they were so excited and proud to be a part of this beautiful slice of paradise.

The property has been a dream come true,a hidden gem near Michelle’s home town, in Neerim Junction. Phill, being a qualified chef in and around Melbourne was ready to work for himself and Michelle had worked in hospitality, front of house and management of hotels for over 20 years, this was the perfect opportunity to settle down, raise children in the country and embark on a huge adventure, to create an amazing, reputable venue and along the way a wonderful lifestyle for a growing family.

 

We see owning Daizies as an opportunity to look after what is already here, restore what we can and improve and expand the property in so many ways. We love the rustic, country atmosphere that has been started and we intend on enhancing that feel and giving it an elegant touch. We have the chance to give the venue a new a lease of life and we are excited to work with the people around us to bring more local produce and offer a personal touch when you visit us.

Every day we pour our hearts and soul into Daizies to make it better for everyone to enjoy. We can’t wait to share it with you!  Thank you so much for supporting us!

Click here to read about the beginning of Gippsland. https://www.oddhistory.com.au/gippsland/

Click here for more history about Warragul. https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/warragul-vic